questions about "locale"

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jul 30 03:51:01 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 23:57 +0200, Jens Olav Nygaard wrote:
> 1) Who installs this, and missed it in my system? X? I could not find
>     any clues scanning the topmost levels of the LFS+BLFS books for the
>     term "locale".

Individual packages install their own locale files - if you look further
down the directories, you'll find lots of package-specific files. For
example:

$ ls /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES
atk10.mo
bison.mo
bug-buddy.mo
control-center-2.0.mo
vte.mo
wget.mo
xscreensaver.mo
yelp.mo
zenity-0.1.mo

So, if you're missing the ones for X, it'll be some kind of build
problem with X. They're present on my system without any special
configuration, so I'd assume something about your build process has
disabled them.

Simon.