Problem with samba and a printer

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Nov 15 21:41:50 PST 2005

Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> Hi. I've been using for quite a long time now a LFS 6.0 system, with BLFS
> 6.0. I installed a (very) basic Samba system, to drop documents to my
> wife's computer, which runs window$98. This does work allright.
>
> On this computer is connected a f...ing winprinter, namely a Canon
> LBP660. As there are clues of a rising reverse engineering pilot on
> linux-printing.org, I decided ti try for a samba/cups configuration to
> reach it threw samba (my wife would KILL me if I unplugged the printer
> from HER computer ;-)
>
> Problem is : it doesn't work now.

Printing to unsupported winprinters via SAMBA is impossible without
installing extra software on the Windows computer. At the very least,
you need to install AFPL Ghostscript and RedMon there. This will create
a fake printer that accepts PostScript.

Then, install CUPS and tell it to print to that fake "windows printer
via SAMBA".

Note: this setup works, but is suboptimal if there is a native Linux
driver for that printer (which is not the case for you).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov