Problems with Openoffice-2.0.0

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 19 15:34:15 PST 2005

Alessandro wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just compiled open-office on my LFS_SVN-20050322
> with two problems.
> First, during compilation the script solenv/bin/checkdll.sh
> failed with the message "Unable to find libmawt.so"
> In fact the script have several -L... including
> -L/opt/jdk/jdk/jre/lib/i386 but not
> /opt/jdk/jdk/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so where I have the
> library on my installation of java-1.0.5_02.
> I don't understand if it depends on my version of java
> (instruction refer to version 1.0.5_05) or other, but with a simple
> cd /opt/jdk/jdk/jre/lib/i386
> cp xawt/libmawt.so .

This is handled in the source build of the JDK in the BLFS book.  I'm
not in a position to check the installed binary version right this
second.  If this is not done on the binary installation, it should be
done.  'ln -sf motif21/libmawt.so /opt/jdk/jdk/jre/lib/i386'  You chose
the wrong copy of libmawt.so.  An 'ls -l' on both should tell you
enough, if not take a closer look at the symbols.

So, do...
rm -f /opt/jdk/jdk/jre/lib/i386/libmawt.so &&
ln -sf motif21/libmawt.so /opt/jd/jdk/jre/lib/i386

> I had another problem after installation: if I start for example
> swriter from kde when I am root from the shell I received:
> /opt/openoffice-2.0.0/program/soffice.bin X11 error: Can't open display:
>    Set DISPLAY environment variable, use -display option
>    or check permissions of your X-Server
>    (See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)
>
> so I have to start the program:
> swriter -display 0:0
> or set the DISPLAY environment variable.
> Is it normal? Can I solve this simply exporting the variable
> on my /etc/profile or there is a better solution to set
> $DISPLAY or is a question of proper setting openoffice?
> Anyway if I start swriter from kde like a normal user (non-root)
> I receive this:
> Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/generic/dl-tls.c: 72:
> _dl_next_tls_modid: Assertion `result <= _rtld_local._dl_tls_max_dtv_idx'
> failed!

What flavor and version of X and glibc?  Did you use the patch set in
the BOOK?  Any additional patches?

> Finally, if I start any openoffice program from gnome like non-root user
> it's all fine and I have no problems.
> Isn't this funny?

Yes it is.  It would seems like a KDE configuration issue...but I'm
unsure ATM.

We'll take it one step at a time.  Fix the jre lib and, though unlikely,
see if any of the others clean up for you.

-- DJ Lucas