initramfs setup?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jul 2 00:55:02 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 00:34 +1200, Simon Geard wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 08:55 +0200, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
> > Initramfs is a cpio archive, see the kernel docs.
>
> Not very clear - I've read the kernel docs, and while they provide a
> perfectly good techncial explanation of what an initramfs is, they
> doesn't really offer much information on setting one up. But I've just
> spotted an entry in LFS Hints that looks a little more useful (assuming
> it's still accurate).

Hmmm. I'm not all that illuminated by the various documentation I've
found. Research suggests three alternatives for populating the
initramfs:

1. standard glibc-linked executables and libraries, copied from the
regular system.

2. using busybox and a static-linked udevd.

3. same as 2, but with klibc instead.

Can anyone who's actually built an initramfs comment on which of these
options they're using? Most of the distros seem to provide some form of
mkinitramfs script, but all seem to take different approaches - e.g
Redhat seems to be option 1, Debian seems to be option 2...

Simon.