Combining firefox and thunderbird into one directory

Peter B. Steiger pbs_lists_001 at bluebottle.com
Fri Jul 13 13:20:11 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 21:50 +0400, Vladimir A. Pavlov wrote:
> Note, comm compares _sorted_ files. It works fine with the example
> Peter gave but another one may give wrong output:

It no longer matters - after some more testing I realized that the
contents of the chrome .jar files in each program (firefox &
thunderbird) were not compatible, so of course they cannot share the
same /chrome folder.  After I had more sleep I saw what a truly stupid
idea it was, but I had to try it before I was convinced :-)

I did, however, find that they can share the same library files, so now
I have /usr/share/mozilla/lib for the .so files, /usr/share/mozilla/bin
for the binaries, /usr/share/mozilla/include for the include files,
and /usr/share/mozilla/{thunderbird,firefox} for the program-specific
data files.

I still haven't decided whether I like thunderbird more or less than
Evolution.  I have been wanting to escape the frustrations of Evolution
for years, but now I'm used to it and I don't want to find a way to
transfer my saved mail over to Tbird... much less rewrite three years of
mail filters that I have perfected to the point that I never have any
false positives and only one or two spam messages get into my inbox per
month.  About the only advantage I see in Thunderbird is that it makes
gmail retrieval seamless and painless.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY