Discussion: is building X.org from source now a joke?

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Wed Jan 23 02:16:27 PST 2008

[I'm not sure if blfs-support is the best list for this - I'll happily
take it to another list if people think it's appropriate.]

There's a big discussion on the x.org list about the state of the Xorg
tree.  Apparently the complete tree hasn't built in over a year.  Some
people are arguing for merging  the drivers back into the server tree.
One  contributor flamed  that the  whole  idea of  building Xorg  from
source  is now  a joke.   (Others disagreed  and posted  various build
scripts.)  Also, in an earlier discussion more than one person claimed
that  the  7.3  release  was  inferior to  previous  7.x  releases  in
important ways.

So just out of interest I'm wondering what do BLFS developers think of
the  state of  Xorg,  particularly  of building  from  source?  Is  it
getting flaky?  Should  the Xorg devs be sorting their  act out or are
things OK as they are?

Regards,

Jeremy Henty