Discussion: is building X.org from source now a joke?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 24 08:59:22 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 05:44:02PM +0100, michael lang wrote:
> On 23/01/2008, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >
> > Jeremy Henty wrote:
> > There isn't a
> > stable (assuming 6.8.x) ati release for the newest pre server.
> >

> I'm not sure what you did, but I was running xorg-xserver-git with
> ati-6.7.192, and have been updating constantly. Although I'm currently using
> git for xserver, mesa, libdrm and ati.

 I gave up on 6.7 after 6.7.197.  On my ppc box, it locks up with the
1.4 or 1.4.0.90 servers when I run 'startx'.  Last time I looked,
6.7.198 hadn't been released.  Maybe it has been now.  My view of
6.7 is that the good *releases* are excellent, but the other
releases are unusable on some of my hardware.  I don't have time to
track git.

ĸen