PCMCIA, IBMTR_CS, ARP-HW-TYPE

Claus Regelmann rgc at rgc1.inka.de
Fri Oct 2 14:56:41 PDT 2009

Hi,

I recently finished installing LFS 6.5 on my old Laptop (IBM-T21).
I added SYSFSUTILS-2.1.0 and PCMCIAUTILS-0.15, put the TR card in,
called pcmcia-socket-startup, found the tr0 interface, configured
tr0, and tried to ping another machine in my network.
-- no response --
I continued inverstigating the situation with wireshark, and found
that my T21 sends ARP requests and responces with an unknown HW type
of 0x320.The correct HW type should be 0x06.

Where does the wrong HW type come from??
'cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/0.0/net/tr0/type' displays 800, which
is equal to 0x320

Hints are welcome?

Claus