PCMCIA, IBMTR_CS, ARP-HW-TYPE

Claus Regelmann rgc at rgc1.inka.de
Sat Oct 3 11:24:46 PDT 2009

Richard Melville wrote:

>     Claus Regelmann said:-
>

>     I recently finished installing LFS 6.5 on my old Laptop (IBM-T21).
>     I added SYSFSUTILS-2.1.0 and PCMCIAUTILS-0.15, put the TR card in,
>     called pcmcia-socket-startup, found the tr0 interface, configured
>     tr0, and tried to ping another machine in my network.
>     -- no response --
>     I continued inverstigating the situation with wireshark, and found
>     that my T21 sends ARP requests and responces with an unknown HW type
>     of 0x320.The correct HW type should be 0x06.
>
>     Where does the wrong HW type come from??
>     'cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/0.0/net/tr0/type' displays 800, which
>     is equal to 0x320
>
> Do you have all the correct drivers configured in the kernel?
>
> Richard

Yes, all modules are loaded and the link layer is running. The problem
comes form the arp traffic where my T21 uses a wrong ARPHRD value.
But I found a qnd work arround that works for me:
---------------------------------- patch for ibmtr_cs.c -------
    /*  Set up the Token-Ring Controller Configuration Register and
         turn on the card.  Check the "Local Area Network Credit Card
         Adapters Technical Reference"  SC30-3585 for this info.  */
     ibmtr_hw_setup(dev, mmiobase);
  -> dev->type=0x06;
  -> printk (KERN_INFO " ibmtr_cs after HW setup: dev->type=%d\n",dev->type);

     link->dev_node = &info->node;
But this patch is not a real fix!

if you lock into include/linux/if_arp.h you will find
#define ARPHRD_IEEE802  6
#define ARPHRD_IEEE802_TR 800

I've several desktops in my net, the oldest one has even an ISA adapter (module ibmtr),
the others have IBM-PCI adapter (module olympic), and all these machines use ARPHRD_IEEE802.

So remaining question is: why does 'ibmtr_cs' use ARPHRD_IEEE802_TR.

Shall I submit this problem to the LFS-DEV mailing list?

Claus

P.S.: I also tested a very old PS/2 micro channel machine. It also uses ARPHRD_IEEE802.