What is the matter with BLFS 6.4 ?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:12:29 PDT 2009

Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi,
> since months the BLFS Book online is telling us, that the new stable version
> of BLFS is delayed.
> I just built a KDE-4.3.0 version on my own. It is true, that many little
> issues and problems remains open. Far from beeing mature, however, the system
> can already be used pretty well.
> I fear, that a daily bigger gap to the base LFS 6.5 (!) and to the not more
> supported KDE-3.5.10 is endangering the idea of BLFS. It will become more and
> more difficult to reach this train, as many things are changing fast
> I think also, that KDE-4 is perhaps loosing possible improvements comming from
> the experiences of the scratch-users.
> I would like to suggest, to start with a "unstable" KDE-4 version, perhaps
> 4.3.0 within the actual book.
> What is the opinion on this thema ?

The problem with BLFS is too many packages and too few editors.  Actually there
has been a fair amount of progress in the last couple of months, but 300
packages are a lot to check and update.

there are a couple of ways to contribute.  You could write a hint and we can
place that in the LFS Hints directory, you could add some comments to the wiki
(e.g http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/kdelibs), or you could send us a
patch to add to the book.

As far as a great difference between LFS 6.4 and 6.5, I haven't really seen many
issues with adding older packages to either build.  About the only thing that
occurs is that some packages need to be patched for a more recent compiler.
Occasionally there is a library issue.

   -- Bruce