blfssvn-20090928 Problems installing Xorg 7.4

ga ho gazza1z at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 10:56:26 PDT 2009

Hi All,

All I get when running X -config ~/xorg.conf.new is a black screen. There are no errors in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. The only warning I get is:

(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)

which is the same warning I get on my LFS6.4 system kernel 2.6.30.2 which starts X Windows with no problems.

The most likely explaination is that I have missed a step somewhere. So my question is can I reinstall all the packages that I have installed sofar in blfssvn-20090928 or would I have to go through the book and somehow delete all the packages first before doing a clean install?

Thanks,
Gary

PS Since xf86-video-vesa-2.0.1.tar.bz2 is missing from both xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/ and
ftp.x.org/pub/individual/driver/

I tried installing xf86-video-vesa-2.0.0.tar.bz2 could this be the problem and if so which of the xf86-video-vesa-2 tar files should I be using?