blfssvn-20090928 Problems installing Xorg 7.4

ga ho gazza1z at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 14:05:18 PDT 2009


> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:35:09 -0600
> From: Trent Shea <trent.shea at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: blfssvn-20090928 Problems installing Xorg 7.4
> To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Message-ID: <200910191235.10738.trent.shea at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: Text/Plain;  charset="iso-8859-6"
> 
> On Monday 19 October 2009 12:20:26 Guy Dalziel wrote:
> > A black screen is now the default colour of the root
> window.
> 
> '-retro' should give the classic behaviour.
> 
> -- 
> Trent.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:05:27 +0100
> From: Guy Dalziel <krendoshazin at dementedfury.org>
> Subject: Re: blfssvn-20090928 Problems installing Xorg 7.4
> To: trent.shea at gmail.com,
> BLFS Support List
>     <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Message-ID: <20091019190527.GA23122 at redqueen>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:35:09PM -0600, Trent Shea
> wrote:
> > On Monday 19 October 2009 12:20:26 Guy Dalziel wrote:
> > > A black screen is now the default colour of the
> root window.
> > 
> > '-retro' should give the classic behaviour.
> 
> Thank you, Trent. The problem, however, isn't really the
> black screen
> itself, but rather the fact that the mouse doesn't work
> until you've
> loaded up a window manager. That coupled with not being
> able to use
> Ctrl-alt-backspace and it creates the illusion that it has
> crashed. I
> don't know if the old screen would really solve the
> problem, but for our
> purposes it might prove less confusing.
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 836 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/attachments/20091019/7fd7f8d2/attachment-0001.bin
> 
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:40:39 -0600
> From: Trent Shea <trent.shea at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: blfssvn-20090928 Problems installing Xorg 7.4
> To: blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
> Message-ID: <200910192340.39548.trent.shea at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: Text/Plain;  charset="iso-8859-6"
> 
> On Monday 19 October 2009 13:05:27 Guy Dalziel wrote:
> > Thank you, Trent. The problem, however, isn't really
> the black screen
> > itself,
> I trimmed too much when I quoted - my bad. '-retro' does
> more than just 
> change the background, though.
> 
> A snippet from the Xorg man page:
> 
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
>            
>    Immediately  kills  the 
> server -- no questions asked.  
> This is
>            
>    disabled by default.  It can be
> enabled with the -retro 
> command
>            
>    line flag or by setting the DontZap
> xorg.conf(5) file 
> option to
>            
>    a FALSE value
> 
> 
> -- 
> Regards,
> Trent.

Thanks Trent that fixed the problem :)

Running the command:

X -retro -config ~/xorg.conf.new

not only gave me the old style gray background but Control-alt-backspace worked and my mouse also worked.

Magic!

Regards,
Gary


      



More information about the blfs-support mailing list