Unable to bring up X windows

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Wed Oct 21 11:33:58 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:21:35PM -0600, Jim McConville wrote:
> I have compiled the X Window system in accordance with the latest BLFS svn and
> have  succesfully executed the command:  "X -retro -config ~/xorg.conf" .
>
> When executing "startx .xinitrc" I get the typical black screen, followed by a
> dimmly lit screen and a reversion back to the text screen.  This screen
> displays the xterm commands and ends with:
> "error setting MTRR (base = 0xe0000000, size = 0x0ff00000, type = 1) Invalid
> argument (22) "

Jim, what exactly are you trying to do? It sounds to me as if all you
have in .xinitrc is a line to load up xterm, but the MTRR error
shouldn't have anything to do with it not working. You need to make sure
that all commands except the last one are backgrounded - as the last command
becomes the process that's in control of the desktop.

For example:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1" &
xterm &
fluxbox

but if you were only loading up an xterm you would do this:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1" &
xterm

The xmodmap line is just there as an example, it's not necessary for
your configuration. I hope that helps.