Unable to bring up X windows

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:01:44 PDT 2009

2009/10/21 Jim McConville <jhmc at xmission.com>:
> Ref. BLFS svn 20091017
>       Chapter 23. X Window System Components
>
> When executing "startx .xinitrc" I get the typical black screen, followed by a
> dimmly lit screen and a reversion back to the text screen.  This screen
> displays the xterm commands and ends with:
> "error setting MTRR (base = 0xe0000000, size = 0x0ff00000, type = 1) Invalid
> argument (22) "

 Apart from what Guy has said, can I add that zipping attached files is
probably the wrong thing to do when posting to this list - it makes
the file harder to read (in gmail I have to save the file, then open it
with vim - and all that for a tiny file), and zipped files aren't a format
of choice for linux users.

 Conversely, using gzip on e.g. the log file might save a little space
and when you get to a desktop browser such as firefox that will
probably be able to open the file without any difficulty.  But for a 20K
file, compression probably isn't worthwhile.

 Lastly, trying things to see if you like them is good, but be aware
that the book is very much a "pick and choose" document (this
comment was prompted by your mention of lesstif : if you normally
use that, fine - I myself use one very old package - but it's not
something I expect to see many people using).

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"