Unable to bring up X windows

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Wed Oct 21 14:09:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 02:57:06PM -0600, Jim McConville wrote:
> Guy,
> I have attempted to bring up the X window system using the command:
> "startx file"
> for all of the attached files.  The results are the same as indicated above.

startx doesn't take an argument, you need to put your values in .xinitrc
and use them that way. If you want to create seperate .xinitrc files
then a trick I learned from Slackware is to create the seperate .xinitrc
files, put them in their own directory in /etc, and then just symlink
the one that you want to ~/.xinitrc. That should solve your problem.