the commands "pathappend, pathremove, pathprepend, ls, cat" aren't found after creating the file /etc/profile [developed BLFS-6.4-book / Ch. 3]

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Thu Oct 22 12:03:03 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 08:50:16PM +0200, Marco Kluth wrote:
> I'm trying to install the BLFS-6.4-book (under development) on my fresh installed LFS-6.5-computer hardly. Just to mention it in front: I didn't recognized any big problems while the LFS-6.5-installation! But after typing the section "The Bash Shell Startup Files" in Ch. 3 - "After LFS Configuration Issues" appears a little problem. Now if I'm logging in at the console as user root, the following message is shown on the screen:
>
> "-bash: pathappend: command not found"

I just tried out the file in question and I had absolutely no
problems with it. The user terminal is now coloured green and the root
terminal is coloured red, and after adding /usr/X11/bin to the list of paths
I can confirm that this works perfectly as well. Pathremove,
pathprepend, and pathappend are all local functions within /etc/profile:
they are not binaries. If you copied and pasted the script word for word
then I can tell you that your problem is not the script itself.