Network/internet problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 18:42:24 PDT 2010

Timothy Rice wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I recently purchased a router. This meant a bit of rejuggling of my
> network. Prior to this, I had good internet access when booted into my LFS
> system.
>
> Now in LFS, access to the internet keeps crashing. For instance, when
> trying to wget a file, the download will stop partway through. At this
> point, if I ctrl-C out of wget and then ping google, the ping will hang.
> Ping will still hang even if I ping by ip instead of by name. However, I
> am able to ping everything in the local network.
>
> Restarting the network with `/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart', restores
> the ability to ping externally, and I can resume the wget download.
> However the latter quickly stops again.
>
> I don't believe the problem is with either the router or the internet
> connection. When I boot into Ubuntu, I have full internet access. My
> laptop also has full internet access through the router. The laptop can
> also wget the same file that LFS stalls on, without any problems.
>
> This implies I need to fix something with my settings in LFS. However, I'm
> not sure what.
>
> The setup I have at the moment is that the router assigns itself the
> address 192.168.1.1, and it statically assigns 192.168.1.2 to the desktop.
> In my /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig-eth0 directory, I've tried
> using both dhcpcd and ipv4-static as methods for connecting to the router.
> Both appear to work initially, and proceed to reproduce the same problem.
>
> I would really appreciate any ideas on how to get things working nicely
> again. Thanks for your time.

You don't say what version of the kernel you are using or what network
driver.  Until you get things set, I'd use a static IP just to eliminate
one variable.

If you connect directly to the network without the router, do you get
the same problem?  You'd have to use dchp there though.

Are you using iptables at all?

Is there any possibility that there is more than one system using the
same IP address?

Install net-tools and give the results of 'ifconfig -a' and 'route -n'.

You especially want to look for things like errors, collisions, etc

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:11:79:4D:17
           inet addr:xxx  Bcast:yyy  Mask:zzz
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:4287983399 (4089.3 Mb)  TX bytes:461810450 (440.4 Mb)
           Interrupt:16

It could also be a problem in the kernel configuration.

grep NET .config

   -- Bruce