question fonts Xorg

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:57:46 PDT 2010

On 9/10/10, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>  Ah!  The book expects these to be in /usr/lib/X11/fonts, and then
> makes symlinks for the OTF and TTF fonts.  How old-fashioned!  My
> fonts have been in /usr/share/fonts since the days of LFS-6.4.

ISTR fontconfig finds all fonts in /usr/share/fonts.
In some circumstances, some programs using XFT may select the core
font instead of the TTF font (firefox, some pages) and not look as
good.
If the core fonts are in /usr/lib/X11/fonts and these symlinks for the
OTF and TTF, then this will not happen.
I don't think anybody else but me seems to notice this.