question fonts Xorg

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 10 13:04:26 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 09:29:00PM +0200, sacarde wrote:

> but how do I do to select the font in X ?

 You don't, it's done automatically.  I think fontconfig does it all
now [but perhaps NOT for xorg core fonts], so if you want to override
something to cause a particular font to be preferred, you can probably
put something in /etc/fonts/local.conf [ man fonts.conf ] but most of
us won't need to touch anything in the setup, we just need to add
extra fonts to provide the glyphs we want.

 If you are using core fonts, a program asks for the specific font
(if it cares).

 For graphical browsers, there is usually an option in 'preferences'
to force particular fonts / sizes.

ĸen