udev alsa pulse kde4.4.5

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Sep 15 04:36:39 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 10:14 +0100, luxInteg wrote:
> On Sunday 12 September 2010 05:02:12 Simon Geard wrote:
> > There's also a 4th category, incidentally, which is where the distros
> > are moving to, and which I use on my machine. That is, ConsoleKit and
> > udev without HAL - using ACLs to grant and revoke permissions over the
> > lifetime of a user session. It's probably equivalent to category 2 or 3,
> > but with one fewer elements involved. Works for me as a Gnome user; not
> > being a KDE user,
>
> and lo  could  ignorant blfs-ers  beseech'th  thee to share thy   great
> secret ?

Nothing particularly fancy that I can think of. The ACL support is
provided by the package of that name in the BLFS book. A rebuild of udev
is needed, so that it will use that ACL support - again, pretty much by
the BLFS book. And of course, ConsoleKit to manage when a user logs in
or out.

Oh, and critically, make sure ACL support is enabled for the tmpfs
filesystem (CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL=y). That was the one thing that gave
me trouble when I first tried doing things this way, since if tmpfs
doesn't support ACLs, you can't use ACLs to grant permissions to devices
under /dev.

Simon.