gnash-0.8.8 build failure

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 22 13:02:04 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:58:52PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On 29 August 2010 23:07, Rick Shelton <rick.shelton at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I think errors about the development language, C++ in this case, merit
> > a bug report or some feedback from the package's development team.
> >
>  Only if I can prove its not caused by something odd in my own install.  The
> error messages look a bit like the "you used to be able to do that, but gcc
> tightened up its requirements" errors I've seen in other packages, but then
> Andy is able to build on newer gcc-4.5.1 and glibc-2.12.1 so I don't think
> that applies.

 FWIW, gnash builds without problems on my current just-about-LFS-6.7
system (pretty much what Andy was using), with boost and SDL,
configured with

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
 --enable-renderer=cairo --enable-media=GST \
 --enable-gui=gtk \
  --with-npapi-plugindir=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

 So, I assume *something* in the LFS-6.6 toolchain wasn't up to the
job!

 I think it is worth noting that merely installing the plugin without
the rest of the build is ineffective - the plugin is recognized by
firefox, so flash animations produce a grey rectangle instead of an
offer to download a plugin, but the animations themselves are NOT
displayed.  Trying to watch any youtube video hangs firefox.

 Trying again with a full install, firefox works fully in both
situations.  So "make install && make install-plugin".

 Oddly, it was epiphany (where I read googlemail/gmail) that alerted
me to this - it hung fetching newer / older messages when the plugin
was installed, and running it from a term showed a message that it
couldn't open gnash in /usr/bin [ because I hadn't installed it ].

 Nastily, now that gnash is properly installed, I've had to "detune"
epiphany in gmail to "basic html" (for the interface) because
otherwise it hangs for ever when trying to access different mails,
and stderr just reported a series (or a loop) of parse errors.

 So, one less-important issue out of the way, with a workaround for
the problem it has brought me.

ĸen