Problem with mouse and keyboard inputs on X11R7.6

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 11 08:37:46 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:17:58AM -0200, Maginot Junior wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm with a little (big) problem.
> I update my X11 to version 7.6. This part wasn't a problem, I have a X
> working, but my mouse and keyboard aren't. I first thought this was related
> to some driver, after some research I saw that X11R7.6 now uses udev and not
> hal anymore for inputs. So, what should I do to solve this, can someone help
> me, I'm tired, spent the last 6 hours trying a working solution and still
> nothing.
>
> One other problem is that I can only work in single mode, if the X starts I
> can't do anything (mouse and keyboard not working =/)

 I've never used hal, but 7.6 is working well for me (with the
possible exception of Mesa - my results from mesa-demos-8.0.1 have
got progressively worse on two different machines :)

 As Simon has said, use evdev.  I've accumulated a few things in my
xorg.conf .xinitrc and .Xmodmap over the years, some of these might
be useful.

xorg.conf:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
        Option "DontZap"  "false"
EndSection

 that's mainly to let ctrl-alt-bksp get me out, the defaults may
have changed across releases, but specifying them does no harm.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        #Option     "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd"
        Option  "XkbLayout" "gb"
        # this no longer works
        #Option "XkbOptions" "compose:menu"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        #Option     "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

 I got those by-platform values based on a response from Trent Shea,
before that I'd been using events listed in cat
/proc/bus/input/devices.

 BTW, for evdev the kernel needs CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV.

.xinitrc:

xset r rate

 restored keyboard autorepeat (a long time ago)

xset r 113
xset r 116

 for evdev, restore repeat on two of the cursor keys.  The key
values from evdev sometimes differ from those returned by the
keyboard driver.  These two repeats mean I can move the cursor in
all four directions when I'm editing a file in rxvt-unicode, but
see also my .Xmodmap below.

 If in doubt, use xev to see what value is returned by a key.

I've also got another attempt to get ctrl-alt-bksp working: at least
one of them, and maybe both, works ;) -

setxkbmap -option "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

.Xmodmap :
 If you use one and you are coming from the keyboard
driver, you may need to edit it. If you don't use one, you might
need it!  Mine has

keycode 116 = Down
keycode 117 = Next
keycode 99 = Prior

 (down arrow, up arrow, page up : at times, the first two have
generated Multi_key (compose) so these changes might break
'Compose', but nowadays I get all my accents from dead keys (AltGr +
one of the keys at the right end - on a GB keyboard, =|+ [|{ ]|}
;|: '|@ #|~ /|? ) and other variations such as « » ß ø from AltGr [
z,x,s,o ] - there are *loads* of these, if your fonts support them.

 Hope this helps.
ĸen