PolicyKit vs. Polkit

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Tue Jan 18 09:09:48 PST 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:46:10 +1300
Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> Correct - polkit is essentially a newer version of PolicyKit. It's not
> compatible, hence the new name, and the ability to install the two in
> parallel. That said, a modern desktop probably doesn't need PolicyKit
> anymore - it's been at least a year since I dropped it from my system.

As there are no much instructions aand advices on these topics, I built all: PolicyKit-0.9,
polkit-0.94,  Polkit-qt-1 and Consolekit. Building kdelibs-4.5.5, the cmake process took PolkitQt as KAuth backend. PolkitQt is defined as Qt wrapper around PolicyKit. The resulting "permissions" tag in System settings is /not/ functioning ! As reported very often, the button "grant"  in "grant authorizations" is greyed out, so I cannot grant myself administrator rights, with all the corresponding problems.

I would very much appreciate any help here, e.g. how to change from PolicyKit to polkit backends in kdelibs, suposing that the authorization behaviour would improve with this change

Edgar
--
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers at gmx.de>
GPG Key ID:AD5C6F70