modesettings change

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 18 08:53:56 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 06:30:30PM +0100, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi,
> little nasty issue: as I have a PC with an Intel processor, I need to configure the kernel with "enable modesettings on intel by default"  ( if not, xorg will not start ). But the result is, that my box changes the text in the console already during the boot process to a minimal font, that I cannot  read. Question: how can I get back my bigger letters ?
> Thanks,
> Edgar

 There are two alternatives -

1. Select the kernel's 12x22 font :
 Device Drivers
  Graphics support
   Console display driver support
	Select compiled-in fonts
	Sparc console 12x22 font

2. Assuming you have a *large* screen, try using a compiled-in 8x16
font and pass "video=1024x768" on the kernel command line (do NOT
attempt to specify an fb driver, nor any of the old -16 at 70 type of
things that used to work on framebuffers before kms).

 Both of these work for me with a 1600x1200 screen.

 If you are using the console, select a "better" font of the same
size that the kernel is using [ this avoids the screen being blanked
and then redrawn when you run the console bootscript ].

ĸen