compile problems with multiple packages

S. Martinez at2marty at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 06:52:53 PDT 2011

I believe this problem might be related somehow to make-3.82.

I am running lfs-6.8 on an i686 platform.  I am currently following
instructions in blfs-svn-20110906.

While running the make command for gstreamer-0.10.25 or
libcanberra-0.18 I get a similar error message for both.  Here is an
example output from when I run make on gstreamer source.

Making all in typefind
  CC    typefind-typefind.o
  LINK  typefind
Making all in docs
Making all in design
Making all in gst
Makefile:904: *** missing separator (did you mean TAB instead of 8
spaces?).  Stop.
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

The error is similar when trying to compile libcanaberra, only the
line number is different.

I examined the Makefile, and there is in fact a leading tab, no spaces
on line 904.  I also did some googling, and it appears that it may
possibly be a problem with make-3.82.  I just don't know what steps to
take in order to patch and/or fix the problem.

Any help is much appreciated.