[blfs-support] OpenJDK-1.7.0.45/IcedTea-2.4.3 : /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11

Magnus Larsson k.magnus.larsson at tele2.se
Sun Dec 1 04:26:24 PST 2013

On 2013-12-01 10.44, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 30-11-2013 19:28, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
>> Magnus Larsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
>>>
>>> I get an error when executing make, truing to build
>>> OpenJDK-1.7.0.45/IcedTea-2.4.3 as per  Beyond Linux® From Scratch - Version
>>> 2013-11-29. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/openjdk.html
>>>
>>> ".../usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11"
>>>
>>> I have an LFS/BLFS system with X11, Qt and KDE. I have X11 in /usr/X11.
>>
>> The linker doesn't search there automatically.  You need to specify the
>> location.  Try:
>>
>> export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11/lib
>>

>>    -- Bruce
>>

> Magnus, report back, please so we can modify the page to include that.

Hello Bruce Dubbs and Fernando de Oliveira,

Bruce, thank you for your help. Adding export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11/lib
worked for me. The build completed without errors. Can I add it
permanently to my environment, or will that have other side effects? Is
it better to only add this, if an when needed?

Fernando, I am executing the tests. They look ok so far, though not yet
completed.

Magnus