[blfs-support] Lots of problems with Firefox

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 1 15:34:33 PST 2013

On Sun, Dec 01, 2013 at 02:45:28PM -0500, Richard wrote:

> I have recently installed LFS 7.4, and I have
> also installed various packages from the BLFS
> book that are identified as compatible with
> LFS 7.4.

 Umm, *everything* in BLFS should work on LFS-7.4 !

> One of the packages I installed was
> Firefox-23.0.1. I believe I have also installed
> all the required and recommended dependencies
> for it.

 I can never recommend an old version of firefox (at least on i686
and x86_64) when there are known issues fixed in each newer release.
But that's not (all) the problem here.

> When I first start up Firefox I get the following
> message:
>
> > (process:1035): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

 As already noted, that is normal and harmless.
> When I go on a news site at:
> www.cbc.ca/thenational/watch/, I get a bunch
> of error messages like:
>
> > (plugin-container:1120): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_visual: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>
> > (plugin-container:1120): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_new: assertion `GDK_IS_VISUAL (visual)' failed
>
> > (plugin-container:1120): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_alloc_colors: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
>
> > (plugin-container:1120): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_modify_bg: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>
> These errors occur before I try to watch anything.
> When I click on a video to watch it, Firefox hangs
> up and I just have to kill the process. The final
> logs I am able to see on the screen are lines like:
>
> > ###!!! [Parent][RPCChannel] Error: Channel error: cannot send/recv

 FWIW, the site itself renders for me with ff-25 and no plugins.

 Google's matches for GDK_IS_COLORMAP find old problems with the
flash player plugin.  Adobe discontinued that - perhaps gnash would
work for you, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

 My own selection of random links on that site variously give me:

This content is not supported by your handset
so that might well be flash

 or links to mp4 files - I tried one of those, firefox offered to
open it in parole, which is my default player, and it worked fine.

 another from the link "View all The National video at cbc.ca/player
»" reported:

To view this content, you need the latest version of Adobe Flash
Player (but 'Adobe Flash Player' was greyed out until I copied it
with the mouse :)

 Overall, cbc.ca seems to be mostly flash and for many of us that
doesn't work™.

ĸen