[blfs-support] Su and Sudo--Getting Both to Work

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Dec 2 10:05:10 PST 2013

Since I installed 'sudo,' I cannot, when logged in as myself, run 'su.'
The vast majority of the time, I don't need it, but when building and
installing using package users, I would like to be able to 'su' to root
so that I can use my install system.  Before I got X working it wasn't a
problem.  I just switched back and forth between terminals.  But now
that X is working, I want to be able to 'su' in xterm.

When I try, I get "Crypt error."  I don't know if it's a 'sudo' or
'shadow' thing.  I haven't been able to glean anything from the man
pages.  Oh, I think I can make the appropriate entries in "sudoers," but
then I'd have to type "sudo su."  If that's the way it is, I'll just
have to get used to it.

I'd also like to be able to run "halt' and 'reboot' without typing 'sudo
/sbin/{halt,reboot}."

If this whole thing is just configuring sudo, I'm not sure how to do
it.  I'm pretty bogged down in the documentation.  I guess I could
experiment in the chroot environment though.

I will appreciate any tips and pointers.

Dan