[blfs-support] Su and Sudo--Getting Both to Work

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Dec 2 13:38:53 PST 2013

On 12/02/2013 12:46 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>> Since I installed 'sudo,' I cannot, when logged in as myself, run 'su.'
>> The vast majority of the time, I don't need it, but when building and
>> installing using package users, I would like to be able to 'su' to root
>> so that I can use my install system.  Before I got X working it wasn't a
>> problem.  I just switched back and forth between terminals.  But now
>> that X is working, I want to be able to 'su' in xterm.
> sudo should not affect su.  You may want to try resetting your password.
Reset my password or root's. This happens when, as me, I run "su" then
root's password.

I don't want to change either of the passwords, so I'm thinking

$ passwd -d dan
$ passwd dan

Unless there's some other record somewhere I think that should "reset"
each password.

> Also, why don't you start two xterms and switch between them?
If I start an xterm, after I've logged in and run "startx," I can't 'su'
in the xterm right now. What you suggested is what I like to do.
>> I'd also like to be able to run "halt' and 'reboot' without typing 'sudo
>> /sbin/{halt,reboot}."
> See the BLFS page for sudo configuration:
>
> dan ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> should do it for you if you also create som aliases:
>
> alias halt='sudo /sbin/halt'
>
> etc.  I personally like the alias svi='sudo vim'
That vim alias would be convenient help for me.

Thanks again, Bruce.

Dan