[blfs-support] Su and Sudo--Getting Both to Work

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Dec 2 14:44:58 PST 2013

On 12/02/2013 12:46 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>> Since I installed 'sudo,' I cannot, when logged in as myself, run 'su.'
>> The vast majority of the time, I don't need it, but when building and
>> installing using package users, I would like to be able to 'su' to root
>> so that I can use my install system.  Before I got X working it wasn't a
>> problem.  I just switched back and forth between terminals.  But now
>> that X is working, I want to be able to 'su' in xterm.
> sudo should not affect su.  You may want to try resetting your password.
>
> Also, why don't you start two xterms and switch between them?
>
>> When I try, I get "Crypt error."
I reset root's password and then realized I, when I tried to run su, may
have been misleading in this post. The actual return I get is:

Crypt: Invalid argument

I don't know if this changes any of the pointers or any of the
troubleshooting suggestions, but I haven't done anything with
configuring sudo yet. Since, Bruce indicated that "sudo should not
affect su," which is my experience too, albeit in other distros and not
LFS, I wanted to try to develop the ability to use su without messing
with sudo--if I can.

I also, as I read my original post, realized that I may have been
misleading in the overall picture. Sudo works great, and I have not run
into any problems with it

Thanks,
Dan