[blfs-support] problem using BS or DEL key

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 3 12:29:42 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 12:41:26PM -0600, William Harrington wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2013, at 10:14 AM, Alexey Orishko wrote:
>
> > At least LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and non-us keyboard are working file with
> > Ubuntu...
> > I wonder what's wrong with my LFS setup...
>
> utf-8 (Unicode ), iso-8859-1, iso-8859-15 (with euro symbol)
>
> For norwegian you need to load the "no" keymap
>
> There is also "no-latin1" keymap. You may want "no-latin1" rather than
> the "no" keymap.
>
> For the console font you may want: lat0-16
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Harrington

 I'm still having difficulty envisioning what is happening on
Alexey's system, but I guess it might be down to an invalid unicode
character (assuming he is using UTF-8), and that his chosen font
doesn't display those sanely [ U+FFFD should be generated for this in
a unicode locale, preferably as a reverse-video question mark "�" ].

 Other things to consider:

 What are the locales (LC_ALL or similar) in BOTH systems ?

 Using 'showkey' [ in a tty ], find the values for the Backspace and
Del keys - on a regular 102-key keyboard mine are 14 and 111 - then
use 'dumpkeys | less' to find what is output for those keys - mine
are 'Delete' and 'Remove' : for no-latin1 the latter is corrected in
the patch.  I _think_ ubuntu has versions of both those commands
(from console-tools), so you could compare them.

 The backspace and delete keys are sufficiently common that the
LEGACY_CHARSET variable (LFS section 7.10) probably doesn't come
into play - but it might be needed to fix up other symbols if you
are using UTF-8 and the keymap is iso-8859-something.

ĸen