[blfs-support] Suggestions on Desktop Environment

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 3 17:22:16 PST 2013

I'm not far from choosing a Desktop Environment, which BLFS gives you
choices of KDE, XFCE, LXDE to install.

I use Gnome at work, an old version that comes with Redhat 5, and I
understand that new versions get mixed reviews in online forums. I have
no opinion, having no experience except with what comes with my Fedora
19 host system.

Why does BLFS not do Gnome? I see that Gnome depends on systemd which
BLFS does not support. Can anyone give me a few clues about the issues?

I've used KDE before, where I used to work, and I was quite happy with it.

Any comments on the relative merits of the three that BLFS recommends?
Beyond the brief introductions in the BLFS book?

Alan