[blfs-support] Suggestions on Desktop Environment

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Tue Dec 3 18:10:35 PST 2013

Forgot to answer (partially) your question: search just for a WM, see
what they look like in their sites, and what is needed to install them,
and go for one. Then you will have something to play with, and then can
decide how much time and effort you want to spend for the next move.

LXDE is the fastest to install (if you have the scripts working, the
whole thing takes about 2 seconds to install. Of course, first time
trying to get it package by package, configurations, etc, it will be
hours, probably.

Increasing in time and difficulty are XFCE, KDE, GNOME (because this is
not in the book, you would need to install systemd, I have tried without
and failed). I have not yet given up getting GNOME back to the book
without systemd and GDM, but up to now,could not get working, perhaps is
impossible.

--
[]s,
Fernando