[blfs-support] Suggestions on Desktop Environment

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Tue Dec 3 19:03:28 PST 2013

On 12/03/2013 07:22 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> I'm not far from choosing a Desktop Environment, which BLFS gives you
> choices of KDE, XFCE, LXDE to install.
>
> I use Gnome at work, an old version that comes with Redhat 5, and I
> understand that new versions get mixed reviews in online forums. I have
> no opinion, having no experience except with what comes with my Fedora
> 19 host system.
>
> Why does BLFS not do Gnome? I see that Gnome depends on systemd which
> BLFS does not support. Can anyone give me a few clues about the issues?
>
> I've used KDE before, where I used to work, and I was quite happy with it.
>
> Any comments on the relative merits of the three that BLFS recommends?
> Beyond the brief introductions in the BLFS book?
>
> Alan
In my "linux life" I have used both KDE and GNome. I got tired of them
both. When I discovered {,B}LFS, I invenstigated the various window
managers mention in the Xorg Chapter. I decided on Window Maker and have
used it ever since. Window Maker and Rox Filer are a really good start.
Then you can engineer the rest of *your own* desktop environment.

Dan