[blfs-support] Suggestions on Desktop Environment

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 23:08:43 PST 2013

Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> I'm not far from choosing a Desktop Environment, which BLFS gives you
> choices of KDE, XFCE, LXDE to install.
>
> I use Gnome at work, an old version that comes with Redhat 5, and I
> understand that new versions get mixed reviews in online forums. I have
> no opinion, having no experience except with what comes with my Fedora
> 19 host system.
>
> Why does BLFS not do Gnome?

> I see that Gnome depends on systemd which
> BLFS does not support. Can anyone give me a few clues about the issues?

Systemd is a solution in search of a problem.  It's not needed in an LFS
environment and adds complexity.

> I've used KDE before, where I used to work, and I was quite happy with it.

I find it a bit slow and too much eye candy for my taste.

> Any comments on the relative merits of the three that BLFS recommends?
> Beyond the brief introductions in the BLFS book?

I like xfce for it's responsiveness and customizabilty.  It integrates
well with other applications.   I do like some kde apps like konsole,
kruler, ksnapshot, and okular.  I don't have much use for any file
manager or office applications, although I do have OO built for
occasional use.

   -- Bruce