[blfs-support] Suggestions on Desktop Environment

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Wed Dec 4 04:15:31 PST 2013

	.
> I could go with any WM, without a DE, but dislike having to manually
> edit the menus. Openbox is very good, with lxpanel, no need to edit
> menus. unfortunately, the developers of LXDE have conceived lxpanel so

Surely you'd script/program that; parse a simple spec of what you want on the
menus, and auto-gen/install the required-format menu(s); the lighter the WM,
often the simpler the structure required. I agree, I'd _reaLLY* dislike
'having' to edit menus manually.

> that it needs to be reloaded after some applications do some operations
> and closes, so lxpanel unloads in Openbox, I created an entry in OB to
> reload it, got tired, and this made me to switch back to LXDE, because
> the applications in autostart that are preceeded by a "@" reloads if
> closed by any motive, so we have as default @lxpanel in autostart.

That's also quite easy to implem in a generic fashion: essentially see if pid
is active, if yes then raise/lower/iconify/un-iconify, else start instance of
prog and store pid. Use essentially, broadly, that under twm. The 'most
difficult' part in many WM/DE would be to reverse-engineer them to see how
to hook it in yrself.

akh