[blfs-support] problem using BS or DEL key

Alexey Orishko alexey.orishko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 06:06:01 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  In my previous reply I included an invalid-unicode symbol, code
> U+FFFD displaying as reverse-video question mark : � : if you read
> the mail on the LFS-7.4 machine (or copy this paragraph to a file,
> scp that file to the LFS machine, and then read it), does the
> resulting glyph appear correctly, and if not, does it match the
> white squares you had [ you need to revert the LANG and UNICODE
> settings ] ?

I can see reverse-video question mark on LFS box, but reverse area is square
in firefox/gmail and oval in lfs (I assume due to different font)

>  There are (at least) three things to be done when moving from
> non-unicode to unicode:
>
> (i.) set the environment to use the unicode versions such as
> en_US.UTF-8.
>
> (ii.) use a unicode console font.
>
> (iii.) adjust environment or other settings for individual
> applications, e.g. in the distant past I used to use LESSCHARSET but
> that is now redundant.
>
>  I now wonder if you are using a non-unicode console font ?

My console file:
# Begin /etc/sysconfig/console
UNICODE="1"
KEYMAP="no-latin1"
KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
LEGACY_CHARSET="iso-8859-15"
FONT="LatArCyrHeb-16 -m 8859-15"
# End /etc/sysconfig/console

# Begin /etc/profile
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
# End /etc/profile

- inputrc exactly as in the book
- rc.site has no console parameters set

Well, I've decided to look out of the box and changed keyboard from
usb to ps/2 type - no difference.

However when I tried to boot from exactly the same HDD on another
motherboard from different vendor - everything works fine! It doesn't
work on recent Atom D2550 motherboard and works on old D510 and
on HP desktop with Core2. New Atom board has Intel ICH10R chipset
and NUVOTON NTC6776D SuperIO, while old one has Intel ICH9R
chipset and Winbond 83627DHG-P SuperIO.

Does it mean the problem might be with some kernel drivers?

/alexey