[blfs-support] problem using BS or DEL key

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 5 07:40:41 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 03:06:01PM +0100, Alexey Orishko wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >  In my previous reply I included an invalid-unicode symbol, code
> > U+FFFD displaying as reverse-video question mark : � : if you read
> > the mail on the LFS-7.4 machine (or copy this paragraph to a file,
> > scp that file to the LFS machine, and then read it), does the
> > resulting glyph appear correctly, and if not, does it match the
> > white squares you had [ you need to revert the LANG and UNICODE
> > settings ] ?
>
> I can see reverse-video question mark on LFS box, but reverse area is square
> in firefox/gmail and oval in lfs (I assume due to different font)

 Good, you are displaying UTF-8.  That unfortunately doesn't help
explain why you were getting white squares after deleting.  Yes,
different fonts display things differently (e.g. serif and
sans-serif).

> However when I tried to boot from exactly the same HDD on another
> motherboard from different vendor - everything works fine! It doesn't
> work on recent Atom D2550 motherboard and works on old D510 and
> on HP desktop with Core2. New Atom board has Intel ICH10R chipset
> and NUVOTON NTC6776D SuperIO, while old one has Intel ICH9R
> chipset and Winbond 83627DHG-P SuperIO.
>
> Does it mean the problem might be with some kernel drivers?
>
> /alexey

 This gets weirder and weirder.  Most of us don't have a stock of
different motherboards to play with, and I've no experience in this
area.  I think you said that showkey and dumpkeys reported the
keyboard was giving the expected values for the BS and DEL keys
even though they were giving white squares when you deleted, so in
theory the kernel drivers are ok.

 Perhaps make a list of the values for _every_ key you use (with
showkey) with this drive on a "good" motherboard, and then put it
back on the bad motherboard and repeat the exercise just in case one
or more _other_ keys are somehow corrupted.

 To be absolutely clear - you haven't installed xorg on the LFS-7.4
system, this is all about a problem in the console terminals (the
ttys), right ?