[blfs-support] problem using BS or DEL key

Alexey Orishko alexey.orishko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 08:43:28 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  This gets weirder and weirder.  Most of us don't have a stock of
> different motherboards to play with, and I've no experience in this
> area.  I think you said that showkey and dumpkeys reported the
> keyboard was giving the expected values for the BS and DEL keys
> even though they were giving white squares when you deleted, so in
> theory the kernel drivers are ok.
>
>  Perhaps make a list of the values for _every_ key you use (with
> showkey) with this drive on a "good" motherboard, and then put it
> back on the bad motherboard and repeat the exercise just in case one
> or more _other_ keys are somehow corrupted.

Well, I only need to type english letter "k" and space to get into problems..
While changing fonts I've noticed that white square boxes have inverted "y"
with two dots over it.. Anyway, they appear on empty position of the
command line (where no text was typed in).

>  To be absolutely clear - you haven't installed xorg on the LFS-7.4
> system, this is all about a problem in the console terminals (the
> ttys), right ?

I don't have any X-related stuff, just plain LFS and I login on local
console.
On other HDD disk I've added a few BLFS packages with profile.d,
dircolors, sudo, mc, etc. to support non-root users.
Both plain LFS and one with some BLFS packages works ok on the old
motherboard.

/alexey