[blfs-support] Troubles Building NSS-3.15.3 [Corrected Major Error]

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Dec 6 09:12:17 PST 2013

On 12/06/2013 02:51 AM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> Le 05/12/2013 19:21, Dan McGhee a écrit :
>> On 12/05/2013 11:20 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>>> This build has failed three times for me.  Here is the applicable
>>> portion of the build log:
>>> [What I originally included was an excerpt from my "error" log. I
>>> apologize for the mistake.
>>
>>> [...]
>>>    1420  Fatal error: can't create
>>> Linux3.8_x86_64_glibc_PTH_64_OPT.OBJ/pk11cert.o: No such file or
>>> directory
>>>    [...]
> This means the directory Linux3.8_x86_64_glibc_PTH_64_OPT.OBJ does not
> exist.
>>>    1445  make[2]: ***
>>> [Linux3.8_x86_64_glibc_PTH_64_OPT.OBJ/pk11cert.o] Error 2
>>>    1446  make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>>    1447  pk11load.c: In function 'SECMOD_UnloadModule':
>>>    [...]
> You are using job parallelization, aren't you? Delete the build
> directory and start anew without the -j flag. ISTR job parallelization
> is broken for NSS. And the first error really looks like some directory,
> which should have been created before the "long statement", had not...
>> The first time it failed, it failed because it couldn't make the
>> directory.  Now it's an object file--as was the second failure. Now I
>> am in need of help, because I don't know how to translate the long
>> statements.
> Regards
> Pierre

For some reason I was compiling NSS in my Ubuntu host system using the
chroot environment.  Pierre's reference to a parallel build, and since I
wasn't trying to do one, got me looking.  So there's one thing.

But I could not get NSS to build in my new LFS system whether in a
terminal environment or graphics environment.  The build kept nagging me
with:
> /bin/mkdir: can't create Linux3.10_x86_64_glibc_PTH_64_OPT.OBJ/<some
> name>.o: No such file or directory

Since I use the "Package Users'" system, I've learned that this
statement is usually a permissions situation and 99% of the time the
referenced directory or file already exists.  But this situation had me
hornswoggled because all the files and directories in the build
environment belonged to "Mr. nss-3.15.3." The only thing I could come up
with was that the build was trying to read a file somewhere that gave
read access to only one user.  There is only one user, outside of my
home directory, for which that is true on my system and that is 'root.'

So, I built NSS as root, which I really don't like to do, and it
compiled perfectly.  To keep my system "together" and before I ran the
'install' commands, I did <chown -R> for the build tree. All is well
now, except that I just can't figure out what stopped me from building
it as an unprivileged user.

Dan