[blfs-support] Troubles Building NSS-3.15.3 [Corrected Major Error]

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Dec 6 12:11:14 PST 2013

On 12/06/2013 01:19 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>> Maybe someday, I'll have the time and energy to "slog through" the build
>> process and try to find out why this happened.  Although I'm happy with
>> the outcome, I don't like to build as root.
> You shouldn't need to build as root, but you do need to install as root.
>    There is something wrong with the scripts you are using.  The
> following (nss-3.15.1) works fine for me as a normal user:
>

> patch -Np1 -i $DIR/$PROGRAM-standalone-2.patch &&
>
> cd nss &&
>
> make BUILD_OPT=1                     \
>     NSPR_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/nspr \
>     USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB=1                  \
>     ZLIB_LIBS=-lz                      \
>     USE_64=1                           \
>     NSS_USE_SYSTEM_SQLITE=1
>
> where DIR and PROGRAM are defined earlier.
>
>     -- Bruce
I use the Package Users system and this is the first and only time that
this situation has developed. You're right about something being amiss
in the scripts, but more precisely maybe the path of a package user.
It's set-up to find "wrappers" for make. In this system, permissions is
the biggy. What I want to learn is, "What in the build tree's
permissions causes the wraper scripts to fail when working in only the
build tree?" One test I didn't run because I wanted to get to the
Xulrunner build is I didn't build as me. My path is different than a
package user's.

The only thing I've ever had trouble with in this system is deciding
which things need to be SUID. Then there's xorg that also needs to be
owned by root *and* run SUID.

Dan