[blfs-support] Configuring autofs

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Dec 7 07:40:45 PST 2013

I've not been  successful in getting autofs to work.  I suppose I should
have started on something simpler like my memory stick, but I started
with my external usb drives.  Here's my auto.master:
>  # Begin /etc/auto.master
>
>  /media/auto    /etc/auto.misc  --ghost
>  /mnt/removable /etc/auto.usb   --ghost
>  #/home        /etc/auto.home
>
>  # End /etc/auto.master
and my auto.usb
> #
> # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
> # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
> # Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage
>
> usb[!0-9]    -fstype=auto            :/dev/sd[a-z][1-9]

I have five different drives with various numbers of partitions on them
with either ext4, ntfs, vfat or dvd files.  I want them to appear in
/mnt/removable as /mnt/removable/usb?

When I trigger a udev event, the disks are recognized, and are listed in
/dev but there are no additional directories in /mnt.  And just so no
one needs to ask, yes "CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS" is set to "y." :)

I don't recall needing make an /etc/fstab entry for this.  It's been
awhile so maybe I'm mistaken on that.

Thanks,
Dan