[blfs-support] Configuring autofs

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Dec 7 08:33:54 PST 2013

On 12/07/2013 09:57 AM, William Harrington wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>> I've not been  successful in getting autofs to work.
> There's a huge thread from earlier this year with autofs and LFS 7.2.
> It may shed some light into helping you:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lfs.beyond.support/46321
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Harrington
That's one thing I forgot to do in my troubleshooting--check the list
archives. Thanks, William.

But, that thread was unresolved. At least, there was never a solution
posted. I did as some of the responses suggested and manually created
the directories listed in auto.master. Still nothing. I've checked the
Arch and Gentoo wiki's and think that I have everything set up the way I
need it.

I do remember, however, when I last had my working LFS system on a
laptop 3-4 years ago, getting autofs to work was a major deal. The
solution, however, was something really, really simple. I just don't
remember what it was. I know I can mount these drives manually, but I'd
like to just plug them in and they are mounted. Right now, my expternal
CD drive doesn't mount either--and that configuration is given in the
book. That tells me the problem is more involved.

Dan