[blfs-support] Automounting

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Dec 9 13:28:31 PST 2013

On 12/09/2013 01:52 PM, David Brodie wrote:
> Hi
>
> You need both udisks2 and gvfs - the latter is actually a dependency of
> Thunar itself, not just thunar-volman -
All of these are installed.
> plus you need a polkit rules
> file for udisks2, which is written in Javascript format for the latest
> version of Polkit - this is a very simple example:
>
> /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/10-udisks2.rules:
>
> /* Allow members of group users to do anything with udisks2! */
> polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
>       if (action.id.indexOf("org.freedesktop.udisks2.") == 0 &&
> subject.isInGroup("users")) {
>           return polkit.Result.YES;
>       }
> });
>
> That will allow a member of 'users' to mount local disks, use
> hot-plugging, and optionally browse remote filesystems, I believe, if
> you have the right optional dependencies installed, such as Samba.
Thank you for this example. This is the syntax I don't understand. I
don't speak Java. :-)
I did find something in the Arch wiki that came close to what you have
here, but it didn't work. We'll see what happens now.

> The polkit daemon usually has its own user and group.
This is new! As I was checking my logs and where things are, the problem
may be that polkitd didn't get installed. How that happened I'll never
know. But I did find a configuration option in './configure --help"
--"--with-polkitd-user=<user>" I wonder if this is what caused polkitd
not to compile. We'll see. I suppose user should be root.

This might be a package to install outside the Package Users system.

Thanks, David, I'll see if this stuff will solve it.

Dan