[blfs-support] Automounting

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Dec 9 14:55:18 PST 2013

On 12/09/2013 03:41 PM, David Brodie wrote:
> On 09/12/13 21:28, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> Thank you for this example. This is the syntax I don't understand. I
>> don't speak Java. :-)
> Ahem, java*script*...completely different. ;)
>
>>> The polkit daemon usually has its own user and group.
>> This is new! As I was checking my logs and where things are, the problem
>> may be that polkitd didn't get installed. How that happened I'll never
>> know. But I did find a configuration option in './configure --help"
>> --"--with-polkitd-user=<user>" I wonder if this is what caused polkitd
>> not to compile. We'll see. I suppose user should be root.
> No, it should have its own non-root user/group - have another read of
> the instructions in the book.
>
> David
It was a forest and trees thing again. I had created the polkitd user
and group. I just didn't remember.

There is incomplete success to report. I relied on "whereis" to find
polkitd--I know better--but I did find it where is was supposed to be in
/usr/lib/polkit-1. I changed ownership and groupship of it to polkitd
and also did the "chown" changes root:messagebus for the dbus daemon. I
now have the icons for the various partitions on my hard drive and for
my usb drive when I insert it. However, when I click on the icons, I get
the message "Failed to mount <Partition Name>, Not authorized to perform
operation."

I deviated slightly from the polkit rule and used my group name instead
to "users." I thought that for trouble shooting it might be easier. Now
it's just something really simple, as was the other stuff. Is it
necessary to create the group "users" or is this a sudo thing?

Thanks for the help thus far, David.

Dan