[blfs-support] Setting Up "unix charset" in Samba Configuration File

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 10 21:46:09 PST 2013

I'm a bit fuzzy on what you're supposed to use for the "unix charset"
parameter
in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. This is for installing Samba-4.1.2.

The BLFS book's instructions on setting up the Samba configuration file
smb.conf says to adjust that parameter appropriately for your installation,
and that this parameter "must be the same as the output of locale charmap
when executed with the LANG variable set to your preferred locale."

In the LFS book, section "7.13. The Bash Shell Startup Files", you figure
out the charmap for your locale and language. Accordingly, this is my setup:

echo $LANG                              -> en_US.UTF-8
locale charmap                          -> UTF-8

However:

LC_ALL=en_US locale charmap             -> ISO-8859-1
LC_ALL=en_US.iso88591 locale charmap    -> ISO-8859-1
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8 locale charmap        -> UTF-8

So far as I understand, US English installations work with either of the
above charmap settings.

Can someone explain the difference? And what I should set in the Samba
smb.conf file for "unix charset"?

Alan