[blfs-support] Polkit Actions

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Wed Dec 11 09:45:46 PST 2013

Now that I've learned (?) how to deal with polkit--as documented in
another thread--I'd like to get a few more things under my belt.  In
particular, I'd like to call gparted from the menus in my desktop
system.  The way it works in Ubuntu is that a message pops up and asks
for my password before GParted runs.  Right now I get only the message
that I need to be root to run it.  I found this at the Arch wiki:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
>   "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
>   "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd">
> <policyconfig>
>
>    <action id="org.archlinux.pkexec.gparted">
>      <message>Authentication is required to run the GParted Partition Editor</message>
>      <icon_name>gparted</icon_name>
>      <defaults>
>        <allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
>        <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
>        <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
>      </defaults>
>      <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/gparted</annotate>
>      <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">true</annotate>
>    </action>
>
> </policyconfig>

This is a polkit action file to be put in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions
directory.  As written, it would go in that directory with the name

"org.archlinux.pkexec.gparted"

What I haven't been able to find is the answer to the following
question.  Does it matter that part of the name would be "org.archlinux"
or is this just a name and doesn't refer to anything else on my system.
There are only two "org's" in the actions I have now: freedesktop and
xorg.  Both of those have things installed on my system.  If it's just a
name, then I don't have to consider anything else.

In addition to GParted, I would like to employ this method for the
Catalyst Control Center for my ATI-Radeon chip.

Thanks,
Dan