[blfs-support] Polkit Actions

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Wed Dec 11 13:06:09 PST 2013

On 12/11/2013 12:20 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 06:45 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> In addition to GParted, I would like to employ this method for the
>> Catalyst Control Center for my ATI-Radeon chip.
> You have to edit both .desktop files and add "pkexec /path/to/program"
> to the Exec= line. Do note that using pkexec requires an authentication
> agent to be running, such as polkit-gnome or lxpolkit.
>
> The file you mentioned is necessarry because pkexec won't allow running
> gui programs by default.

When I first read this, I didn't do anything because I have polkit-gnome
installed. When I made the changes for pkexec in the gparted.desktop
file and tried to run it, nothing happened. I didn't even get the
message that I needed to be root. I guess that's progress.

But when I checked my installation of polkit-gnome, I discovered that I
had forgotten to add the helper file in /etc/xde/autostart. I created
that file and tried to run GParted again and once more nothing happened.
I took a closer look at the file and saw the line:

> AutostartCondition=GNOME3 unless-session gnome

I'm not using Gnome, but xfce4. I logged out and restarted xfce4, but
gnome-polkit didn't start. I don't know how to change the line in the
polkit-gnome.desktop file.

Dan