[blfs-support] Polkit Actions

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Thu Dec 12 13:17:22 PST 2013

	.

> I usually don't suggest things like this and I don't know if ConsoleKit
> can be used without PAM. [...]

It can be used ohne PAM: Slackware does not use PAM, and does use (optionally)
console-kit; ref e.g.
--
* ftp://ftp.slackware.no/slackware/slackware64-14.1/source/l/ConsoleKit/

* ftp://ftp.slackware.no/slackware/slackware64-14.1/source/l/ConsoleKit/ConsoleKit.SlackBuild
--

> [...] But in some of the pacakge pages there are
> comments like "If you don't install the optional dependencies then you
> can't do <description>. Armin said yesterday that PAM was almost a
> required dependency of ConsoleKit. Maybe a comment of explanation would
> be appropriate for the ConsoleKit page.

'almost' !== 'required'  (of course).

Hopefully BLFS will continue the recent-years move towards the practice of
being (more) rigourous, consistent, strict and correct, about the meanings
of 'Required', 'Recommended', 'Optional', and their variants. In other parts
of Linux, there's been far too much - to put it lightly - forcing of
contrived dependencies: so I'd hope it doesn't begin to appear in
(B/)Lennux From Scratch also.

hth,

akh