[blfs-support] Trying to Decide Which Qt

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Dec 13 12:56:04 PST 2013

On 12/13/2013 01:36 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 01:10:54PM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> What, if any, functional loss will I experience by not installing Cups
>> right now?  If I wait to build Cups will I have to rebuild Qt-5.2.0
>>
>   For qt-5 I cannot comment, and for qt-4 I've always built cups
> before qt.  The reason for that is simple : most of my printing has
> historically been from gtk applications.  If cups has been installed
> before gtk+-2 then the gtk2 apps can see the cups print queues when
> those have been created.  I assume the same is true for gtk3, and
> probably for qt.
>
>   Note that I never have _working_ printing until quite late in my
> build : my sequence is xorg then glib/gtk_2,3}, preferred wm,
> firefox, printing stack including gutenprint [ after that, I can
> print ] plus the gimp and other photo stuff, office apps [ I keep
> various notes in spreadsheets :) ], remaining AV [ pulls in qt for
> vlc ], other apps.
>
> ĸen
I didn't know that about the gtk+{2,3} stuff 'til the other day.
Previously in {,B}LFS I've not experienced the need--at least to my
memory--to print from GTK apps.  Previously, however, is > 5-6 years ago
so maybe that situation is deprecated.  :)  Your remarks have spurred me
to install Cups and rebuild the gtk basics.

Thanks, Ken.

Dan